Benton Conservation District is looking for an experienced self-starter who is energetic and highly organized with an interest in native plants and native plant landscaping.
This position is primarily responsible for conducting Heritage Garden Program implementation activities in Yakima County. This position will focus on working with landowners, businesses and municipalities to convert high water-use landscapes to efficient low water-use landscapes using predominantly native plants. Experience gardening with or propagating native plants is desired. This position will work with local conservation districts, garden clubs, Master Gardeners, local native plant society chapter and others to implement the Heritage Garden Program in Yakima County. Work will include making presentations to various groups to educate them on the Heritage Garden Program in addition to organizing workshops/webinars.
This position description represents a general outline of the job duties, essential functions, and minimum qualifications. Eligibility for this position is contingent upon the individual’s ability to perform the essential functions with or without reasonable accommodation. This position requires frequent sitting, standing, walking over difficult terrain, and lifting up to 50 lbs.
Heritage Garden Program Assistant Description
- Conduct site visits with landowners, businesses, and municipalities to discuss implementing Heritage Gardens and/or low water-use landscapes. Develop Heritage Garden planting plans as applicable.
- Perform resource inventories and evaluations including conducting field investigations and assembling data necessary for the development Heritage Garden planting plans.
- Document the implementation of Heritage Gardens, certify gardens, and calculate water savings following implementation.
- Organize, advertise, and implement at Heritage Garden workshops/webinars in Yakima County.
- Assist with the preparation of grant proposals and budgets for new and on-going district projects and programs.
- Provide exceptional customer service to a wide range of public and elected officials, technical and conservation experts, farmers, and landowners.
- Prepare reports documenting activities, program progress, and accomplishments as directed.
- Attend public meetings as a representative of the program and participate as needed.
2. Cover letter
3. Three (3) professional references
Be sure to describe your interest in the position and the skills you bring to our conservation district. Your cover letter is not to exceed one page. Letters of recommendation may be included.
Benton Conservation District is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Send electronically (please no paper copies) to:
Please include: HG Program Assistant – YOUR NAME in the subject line