I wanted to let you know about an exciting event that the Washington Invasive Species Council is hosting throughout October.
During October, the council in partnership with the Washington State Department of Agriculture, Washington Noxious Weed Control Board, and others, are asking people to report any sightings of tree-of-heaven to the Washington Invasives app. The goal of this campaign is to collect data on the range and density of this noxious weed in addition to raising awareness about the risk of spotted lanternfly, which is an invasive species not known to be in Washington. We have created a communications schedule, shown below, that highlights a different aspect the issues each week.
- Week 1 (October 4th-8th): Tree-of-Heaven
- Week 2 (October 11th – 15th): Spotted Lanternfly
- Week 3: (October 18th – 22nd): Pathways for Movement and Spread
- Week 4: (October 25th – 29th): A Call to Action
So where do you come in? We’re asking you to like, share, comment, and repost our social media throughout the month.
Additionally, we would love to collaborate with you if you want to highlight work your agency is doing to inventory or manage tree-of-heaven or the risk you face from establishment of spotted lanternfly. I’ve attached a document with the hashtag campaign we will be using, as well as the key messages we will be focusing on through the month.
Towards the end of October, we will be advertising for a November 1st webinar covering the following:
- Spotted Lanternfly Overview and Risk to Washington
- Spotted Lanternfly Impacts to Vineyards in Pennsylvania
- Spotted Lanternfly Impacts to Forests and Parks in Pennsylvania
- Overview of Spotted Lanternfly Interceptions in California
- Tree-of-Heaven Identification, Management, and Non-invasive Alternatives
- Results of October 2021 Tree-of-Heaven Census and Spotted Lanternfly Visual Survey
- Next Steps and Action Plan Overview
A link for more information for this culminating webinar can be found here.
Additionally, we have shared several links that may be helpful to you should you get any questions about this event. Please see the bottom of this e-mail for references.
Lastly, don’t hesitate to reach out with any questions. We’re here to help! Now let’s go count some tree-of-heaven!
- News Release
- November 1st Webinar
- Spotted Lanternfly Information
- Tree-of-Heaven Information
- Tree-of-Heaven and Spotted Lanternfly Brochure
- Brochure request form: Publications Request Form Survey (surveymonkey.com)
- Download: Tree-of-Heaven-Census-Plan that includes key messages for outreach