The NACD Soil Health Champions Network is made up of more than 370 farmers, ranchers, woodland owners and land managers from across the nation who practice good soil health management on their operations and promote the use of soil health management systems in their communities. See the recruitment packet for the details: SHC Recruitment Packet 8.24.22
Well, NACD is making an extra special effort to get more urban conservation folks involved in the Soil Health Champions group. To help with that, NACD is offering up to 5 stipends/scholarships for new Urban Champions to attend the NACD Annual Meeting in New Orleans, February 11 – 15. These stipends are $1500 each, given as a reimbursement for expenses to attend (processed after the meeting). Things like registration, hotel lodging, travel (mileage or airfare), etc. would be ways to spend that $1500. Here are the details:
- Your contact information must be returned to Beth Mason (the questionnaire can be filled out later, if it’s not available now)
- Stipends/Scholarships are given as reimbursement for expenses AFTER the conference – receipts required (expenses that count are hotel, registration, travel – mileage/ airfare/cab, etc.)
- Champions must stay at the conference hotel
- Champions must register themselves and make their own hotel reservations (these are reimbursable expenses with the stipend)
- Only one stipend per Champion family unit
- Champions cannot be on the NACD board of directors
- Stipends offered on a first come, first served basis – ideally we would have no more than one new champion scholarship per state, but we may make an exception, depending on the demand.
Contact Beth Mason via email with your request.
A couple of highlights to mention:
- NACD will officially kick off things with the network by holding a Soil Health Champions Coffee on Sunday morning, February 12. This at the beginning so you meet folks early on that you can sit with at sessions, grab some lunch, dinner, or a drink, etc.
- NACD will also have a Soil Health Champions booth area in the Expo hall for you all to gather – like a home base – and chat, network, and talk with other attendees
Here’s the link to the NACD meeting information:
And just to be clear – 1) NACD is looking for new urban members, AND 2) within that group of new urban Soil Health Champions, NACD would like to offer 5 stipends/scholarships to the NACD annual meeting.
Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving! Looking forward to seeing many of you in New Orleans!
Source: Beth Mason, NACD North Central Region Representative